Saturday, May 9, 2009

Public Transit

I guess I have been stuck up for years! I have lived along a UTA bus route for 6 years and have never ridden until now. I am really spoiled too, the bus stop is right outside my front door! Maybe, I have not ridden before because I have had a couple of bad experiences on public transportation. My first experience in Kansas City was a doozie, trust me, you don't want the details!

I have been riding UTA to work now for a couple of months, it has been great! The benefits are so great that I feel silly for not riding before now!

  • I am saving money and wear & tear on my new car.
  • I can play on Facebook, catch up on my podcasts, talk on the phone, listen to music, email, and play games (Bejeweled 2 I am trying to beat Kelly's score)- all things that I don't normally have time for. As long as my iPhone battery is charged, I am happy.
  • It is great because I can also mentally prepare for work or unwind afterward. (Teaching can sometimes take a lot out of you!)
  • I don't have to fight traffic.
  • I can even take a nap!

My trek takes me about an hour, I get on the bus in Bountiful and ride until I get to the University, I then catch TRAX up to the hospital. It is not bad at all. It does not take me much longer than driving, especially since I can't even park at the hospital, I have to park on campus and take a shuttle to the hospital!

I do miss driving my new car sometimes, I have a lot of fun with my turbo- well not too much fun!

Since I am now an expert at riding the bus, if anyone needs help or advice, let me know.

http://www.rideuta.com/

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you blogging! Andrew is a faithful Public Transit rider for the same reasons that you listed. As long as you avoid the scary routes (and they are out there) it can be a good experience. My biggest hesitation is the fact that hundreds or thousands of people touch everything in the bus between cleanings, but then that is just my paranoia talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I am so out of the loop update me.Where are you working now? Do you still live in Bountiful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, it has been a long time since we blogged and since I had even looked at our blog.
    Hi Laura! That is great for Andrew. Are you guys still living at his parent's house while they are on a mission? How long of a commute is it for Andrew?
    Hey Lex! I am still working at ARUP Laboratories and we just bought a house in Salt Lake. Chris and I are both 7 miles from work different directions.

    ReplyDelete